BikeAbout the Mediterranean: Israel
BikeAbout-the Mediterranean was a nine-month, 11,000-kilometer circumnavigation of the Mediterranean Sea... by bicycle. The BikeAbout team visited Israel on December 12, 1997 and from January 12, 1998 to January 22, 1998. To read about what happened, see any of the following trip dispatches:
- December 12, 1997, Ashqelon, Israel
- Topics: challah (food), Sabbath, ancient Ashqelon, Philistine city-states, Crusades, exchange rates, security checkpoints, vegetation, environmentalism
- January 12, 1998, Jerusalem
- Topics: fat (food), battlefields from 1947-48 War for Independence, group reunification, rare Israeli snow storm, geography
- January 13, 1998, Jerusalem
- Topics: humus (food), Temple Mount, Mount Moriah, Dome of the Rock, Herod, Jerusalem, HISTORY, Crusades, Hadrian, Alexander the Great, Ottoman Empire, Diaspora
- January 14, 1998, Jerusalem
- Topics: labaneh (food), Benny and Esther van Vlymen (People of the Day), Jerusalem by ofnayim/bike, Yad Vashem (Holocaust Museum), Cinematheque, metal monies and symbols
- January 15, 1998, Jerusalem
- Topics: education/arts, Arab/Israeli exchange, social change organizations, "Healing the World"
- January 16-17, 1998, Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
- Topics: pomelo (food), shabbat, Tel Aviv, Jaffa, HISTORY, Jerusalem for Bikes, Tel Aviv for Bikers, Challenge Ride
- January 18, 1998, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Topics: bagel (food), military history, military service, bicycle advocacy, Diaspora
- January 19, 1998, Givat Haviva, Israel
- Topics: Green Line, cornflakes (food), Givat Haviva, equality and understanding
- January 20, 1998, Haifa, Israel
- Topics: bamba (food), friendship, peaceful coexistence, Caesarea Roman Amphitheater & Crusader City
- January 21-22, 1998, Haifa, Israel
- Topics: kebabs (food), 'Akko (Acre), Ptolomy, Crusades, History, "making Aliya", Mt. Carmel, Baha'ism
In addition to reading these dispatches, we encourage you to visit these resources:
- BikeAbout Israel Scrapbook
- Photos and sounds gathered by the BikeAbout team; maps of Israeli coast.
- About Israel
- Basic facts about Israel's government, economy, and people; links to other sources of information on the 'Net. Compiled by BikeAbout.
Internet access and Web hosting while in Israel were provided by Aquanet.
Copyright 1998-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.