topics: fat (food), battlefields from 1947-48 War for Independence, group reunification, rare Israeli snow storm, geography; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
January 11–12, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:40 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 4:54 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
43 m / 70 km
1592 mi / 2564 km
|Lat: 31° 47' 56" N|
Lon: 35° 08' 37" E
Elev: 2792 ft / 851 m
[Webmaster's note: This dispatch covers the days from January 11 to January 12. The almanac data refers to January 12.]
- Where We Are: Jerusalem
- Where We're Staying: the homes of Beni and Esther van Vlymen, and Yefim and Nona Manusov
- Places We Visited: view from our bike seats
- Featured Site: Battlefields of the 1948 War for Independence / Arab-Israeli War
- Person of the Day: Hosts, Beni and Esther van Vlymen , and Yefim and Nona Manusov
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: fat
- Breakfast: humus and fuul with pita bread
- Lunch: bread, a cream cheese spread, fruit juice, and a candy bar
- Dinner: bread, cheese, tomato salad, cabbage soup, cooked bulgar wheat, and fish
- Olive count: 1354
- Word of the Day: Olam means "world" in Hebrew.
- Tech Fact of the Day: It is not wise to take a three-week break from bicycling and then immediately do a tough ride through the foothills of Jerusalem. In fact, doing something so foolish can cause extreme thigh- and calf-muscle pain and a burning sensation in your lungs. While all this pain does distract you from the cold, it does not greatly add to the joy of biking.
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 4
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 22
Next Stop: We are staying in Jerusalem!
Internet access and Web hosting while in Israel were provided by Aquanet.
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.