topics: humus (food), Temple Mount, Mount Moriah, Dome of the Rock, Herod, Jerusalem, HISTORY, Crusades, Hadrian, Alexander the Great, Ottoman Empire, Diaspora; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
January 13, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:40 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 4:55 p.m.
|Traveled Since Yesterday|
0 m / 0 km
1592 mi / 2564 km
|Lat: 31° 47' 56" N|
Lon: 35° 08' 37" E
Elev: 2792 ft / 851 m
- Where We Are: Jerusalem
- Where We're Staying: once again, we are divided into two groups and staying with Beni and Esther van Vlymen, and Yefim and Nona Manusov
- Places We Visited: Temple Mount / Dome of the Rock, Al-Aqsa Mosque, city ramparts, Tower of David Museum, Ministry of Tourism, Israel Museum (Dead Sea Scrolls and other exhibits)
- Featured Site: Mount Moriah
- Person of the Day: King Herod the Great
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: humus
- Breakfast: bread and cheese, green salad, guacamole, oatmeal, mini cheese pastries
- Lunch: pita bread, plates of humus and tahina, moussaka, and rice and beans
- Dinner: bread and butter and cheese, potato salad, beet salad, vegetable soup, cookies
- Olive Count: 1364
- Word of the Day: B'vakasha means "you're welcome" (as in what you say in response to a "thank you") in Hebrew.
- Tech Fact of the Day: BCE, which means "before the common (or Christian) era" is the terminology used by many people as a substitute for BC, which means "before Christ"; CE or "common (Christian) era" replaces AD ("anno domini").
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 4
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 22
Next Stop: We are staying in Jerusalem!
Internet access and Web hosting while in Israel were provided by Aquanet.
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.