topics: challah (food), Sabbath, ancient Ashqelon, Philistine city-states, Crusades, exchange rates, security checkpoints, vegetation, environmentalism; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
December 12, 1997
|Sunrise (local): 6:31 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 4:39 p.m.
|Traveled Since Yesterday|
20 m / 32 km
1496 mi / 2409 km
|Lat: 31° 40' 37" N|
Lon: 37° 33' 55" E
Elev: 0 ft / 0 m
- Where We Are: Ashqelon
- Where We're Staying: Samson Gardens Hotel
- Places We Visited: biking-only day — no visits, only another border crossing
- Featured Site: Ancient Ashqelon
- Person of the Day: Fish, andrEa's pet passenger fish
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: challah bread
- Breakfast: cookies, tea, water
- Lunch: a few more cookies and a bread snack
- Dinner: pizza (again)
- Olive Count: 1306
- Word of the Day: "C'mon, man" , in colloquial Arabic, is commonly heard in Gaza.
- Tech Fact of the Day: Exchange rates and paying in American dollars
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 5
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 20
Next Stop: Hebron (Palestine) for three of us,
and Tel Aviv (Israel) for one!
(Ethan is headed back to the United States a few days before our break to continue fundraising for BikeAbout from New York. Farewell and good luck, Ethan!)
Internet access and Web hosting while in Israel were provided by Aquanet.
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.