topics: ; labaneh (food), Beni van Vlymen (People of the Day), Jerusalem by ofnayim/bike, Yad Vashem (Holocaust Museum), Cinematheque, metal monies and symbols, jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
January 14, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:40 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 4:56 p.m.
|Traveled Since Yesterday|
31 m / 50 km
1623 mi / 2614 km
|Lat: 31° 47' 56" N|
Lon: 35° 08' 37" E
Elev: 2792 ft / 851 m
- Where We Are: Jerusalem
- Where We're Staying: once again, we are divided into two groups and staying with Beni and Esther van Vlymen, and Yefim and Nona Manusov
- Places We Visited: Jerusalem and its hills (Heights of Rachel, "Hill of Evil Council," Mount of Olives, Mount Scopus, Mount Zion) on a guided bike tour with Beni van Vlymen, Yad Vashem (Holocaust Museum), Jerusalem Cinematheque
- Featured Site: Jerusalem Cinematheque
- Person of the Day: Beni van Vlymen
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: labaneh
- Breakfast: fried noodles, porridge, humus, falafel, labaneh, tahina, pita bread, and coffee
- Lunch: an on-the-run mix of oranges, bread, candy bars, and water
- Dinner: vegetables, humus, tahina, bread, tuna salad
- Olive Count: 1369
- Word of the Day: Ofnayim means "bicycle" in Hebrew. Ofnayim is also the name of the only bicycle magazine in Israel.
- Tech Fact of the Day: The metal money (coins) used in Israel comes in denominations counted in "agorot" and "shekel" (100 agorot are equal to one shekel). Depicted on the coins are important Jewish and Israeli symbols.
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 4
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 22
Next Stop: We are staying in Jerusalem!
Internet access and Web hosting while in Israel were provided by Aquanet.
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.