BikeAbout the Mediterranean: Lebanon
BikeAbout-the Mediterranean was a nine-month, 11,000-kilometer circumnavigation of the Mediterranean Sea... by bicycle. Three members of the BikeAbout team (Anthony, Ethan and Padraic) visited Lebanon from January 28, 1998 to February 5, 1998. To read about what happened, see any of the following trip dispatches:
- January 25-28, 1998, Irbid, Jordan (01/25); Beirut, Lebanon (01/28)
- Topics: Amman (Jordan), visas, Irbid (Jordan), the Palestinian Question, King Hussein, HISTORY, Beirut first impressions
- January 29-30, 1998, Beirut, Lebanon
- Topics: Leila Mouammar (Person of the Day), Beirut (reconstruction, Hamra), Civil War, war, HISTORY, Eid el-Futr party
- January 31, 1997 - February 1, 1998, Beirut, Lebanon
- Topics: mana-eesh (food), social life, Lebanese civil war, Palestinian refugees, history, recreation
- February 2-3, 1998, Beirut, Lebanon
- Topics: coffee (food), Internet access, border crossing, terrain, Libyan weddings, reconstruction, civil war, social life
- February 4, 1998, Byblos, Lebanon
- Topics: Phoenicians, papyrus, Alexander the Great, Byzantines, Crusaders, alphabets, bike safety
- February 5-6, 1998, Tripoli (Trablous), Lebanon
- Topics: Znoud el s'ett (food), Citadel of St. Giles, Ottomans, cedars, Crusaders
- February 7, 1998, Beirut, Lebanon
- Topics: border crossing, nutrition, Hafez al-Assad, Middle East wars, history
- February 8-10, 1998, Beirut, Lebanon
- Topics: agriculture, daily life
In addition to reading these dispatches, we encourage you to visit these resources:
- BikeAbout Lebanon Scrapbook
- Photos and sounds gathered by the BikeAbout team; maps of Lebanese coast.
- About Lebanon
- Basic facts about Lebanon's government, economy, and people; links to other sources of information on the 'Net. Compiled by BikeAbout.
Internet access while in Lebanon was provided by Nethopper.
Copyright 1998-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.