topics: salanaki (food), sports, Mount Athos (Agios Oros), Greek Orthodox monasteries, salt and bikes, travel, mythology; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
March 8, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:55 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 6:28 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
70 mi / 112 km
3141 mi / 5058 km
|Lat: 39° 37' 52" N|
Lon: 22° 25' 13" E
Elev: 79 ft / 24 m
- Where We Are: Larisa ()
- Where We're Staying: Hotel Diethnes ()
- Places We Visited: Byzantine Museum, Mount Athos Special Exhibit, Mount Olympus, beach, Vale of Tembi
- Featured Site: Mount Athos
- Person of the Day: Sofia
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: salanaki, or fried cheese
- Breakfast: spinach pastries
- Lunch: bread, cheese and sausage
- Dinner: a whole chicken, french fries, salad, ice cream
- Olive count: 1850
- Word of the Day: "Yasas" () means "Hello" in Greek.
- Tech Fact of the Day: Salt is bad for bicycles
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 21
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 27 (Padraic joins the broken spoke club!)
Next Stop: Athens
Internet access while in Greece has been provided by FORTHNet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.