topics: tavë dhen (food), National Museum, National Gallery, "Linda" women's cultural center; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
April 3, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:23 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 7:06 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
0 mi / 0 km
3455 mi / 5563 km
|Lat: 41° 18' 57" N|
Lon: 19° 49' 14" E
Elev: 344 ft / 105 m
- Where We Are: Tirana
- Where We're Staying: host family homes
- Places We Visited: National Museum, Open Internet Center, National Gallery of Visual Art
- Featured Site: "Linda" Cultural Center for Women
- Person of the Day: Eleni Laperi Koci
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: tavë dhen, which literally means "plate of clay"
- Breakfast: bread, yogurt, juice, cheese, pastries, olives
- Lunch: AEDP kitchen lunch of salad, fish, fries, and fruit
- Dinner: soups, stews, and general smorgasbord, including pudding for dessert!
- Olive count: 1978
- Word of the Day: "Bujrum" means "Come and join us (for a meal)" and "të bëftë mirë" means "enjoy your meal." Compare "bujrum" with the "buyurun" we first encountered in Turkey and from which it is derived.
- Tech Fact of the Day: border closures and ethnic Albanians
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 22
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 28
Next Stop: We don't know! The plan was to leave Tirana for Shkodra tomorrow morning, but that's become a tricky situation (read the Rider Notes for more details)!
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.