Webmaster's Note: The BikeAbout team has returned to one group after having been divided for a few weeks.
topics: Minisa kebab (food), Byzantine Empire, Hagia Sofia/Aya Sofia/Sancta Sophia/Church of the Holy Wisdom, Justinian, daily life, Mosque of Sultan Ahmet/Blue Mosque, Ottoman Empire; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
February 28, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:42 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 5:52 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
0 mi / 0 km
Cumulative Total (all groups)
3068 mi / 4941 km
|Lat: 41° 00' 32" N|
Lon: 28° 58' 52" E
Elev: 22 ft / 35 m
- Where We Are: Istanbul
- Where We're Staying: the guys have moved to the apartment of a new friend, Bengül, while the ladies are still at Beyhan's
- Places We Visited: Austrian College, Galata Tower, Istiklal Caddesi, Taksim Square, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Yerebalen Saray (Sunken Palace or Cistern Basilica)
- Featured Site: Hagia Sophia
- Person of the Day: Turgut S(h)en
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: Minisa kebab
- Breakfast: bread, jam, honey, hash-hash, tea, coffee
- Lunch: hot-dogs(!) at the Austrian school
- Dinner: Iskender kebab, cheese pide (Turkish pizza), fruit compote
- Olive count: 1792
- Word of the Day: "Buyurun" means "Yes, please" in Turkish. We have found this phrase very helpful at dinnertime in response to the question, "Would you like some more?"
- Tech Fact of the Day: Hagia Sofia's amazing dome
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 21
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 26
Next Stop: Istanbul
Internet access while in Turkey was provided by Raksnet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.