topics: Topkapi Palace, Ottoman Empire, Constantinople, history, Mehmet The Conqueror, daily life; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
March 2, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:39 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 5:55 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
0 mi / 0 km
3068 mi / 4941 km
|Lat: 41° 00' 32" N|
Lon: 28° 58' 52" E
Elev: 22 ft / 35 m
- Where We Are: Istanbul
- Where We're Staying: the guys are still at Bengül's apartment, while the gals have moved to Gükalp's place
- Places We Visited: breakfast café along the Bosporus, Topkapi Palace, Kapali çars(h)i (Covered Market), Robert College
- Featured Site: Harem of the Topkapi Palace
- Person of the Day: Bengül Kurtar
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: fish sandwiches
- Breakfast: pastries and tea
- Lunch: a quick chicken sandwich from a street vendor
- Dinner: lentil soup, salad, rice and vegetables and fruit
- Olive count: 1813
- Word of the Day: "Güzel" means "nice" in Turkish.
- Tech Fact of the Day: The Fall of Constantinople is also known to Muslims as the Conquest of Istanbul.
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 21
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 26
Next Stop: Istanbul
Internet access while in Turkey was provided by Raksnet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.