Webmaster's Note: Because the BikeAbout team is traveling in smaller groups for a little while, we have changed the format of the journal slightly. The dispatches for Turkey will be presented in geographical rather than chronological order. To view the chronological order, go to the itinerary.
topics: Asclepion, Pergamum Acropolis, Troy, cheap transportation; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
February 23, 1998
|Sunrise (local): N.A.|
Sunset (local): N.A.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
63 mi / 102 km
Cumulative Total (all groups)
3001 mi / 4832 km
- Where We Are: Çanakkale
- Where We're Staying: Hotel Fatih, in the tiniest hotel room ever invented
- Places We Visited: Bergama (Pergamum) ruins, the Akçay newsstand where we found our picture in the paper
- Featured Site: ruins of Pergamum - the Asclepion (hospital)
- Person of the Day: Aydin Sengul and Ismet Hoca
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: Hin diba
- Breakfast: Gülden bread, plum and quince jam a la Gülden's mom
- Lunch: Gülden bread, plum and quince jam a la Gülden's mom
- Dinner: eggs, dandelion greens (hin diba), bread, cheese
- Olive count: 1770
- Word of the Day: "Ucoz" is the Turkish word for "cheap"
- Tech Fact of the Day: Claiming ownership of sacred grounds is a difficult thing.
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 21 - this one was our first trailer tire!
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 26
Next Stop: Gallipoli
Internet access while in Turkey was provided by Raksnet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.