Webmaster's Note: Because the BikeAbout team is traveling in smaller groups for a little while, we have changed the format of the journal slightly. The dispatches for Turkey will be presented in geographical rather than chronological order. To view the chronological order, go to the itinerary.
topics: school presentations, press interviews, live chat madness, email Turkish students!; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
February 20, 1998
|Sunrise (local): N.A.|
Sunset (local): N.A.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
0 mi / 0 km
Cumulative Total (all groups)
2937 mi / 4730 km
Elev: 0 ft / 0 m
- Where We Are: Izmir
- Where We're Staying: with the Güllü family
- Places We Visited: Izmir Private Boarding School, American High School of Izmir, the cinema
- Featured Site: American High School Library
- Person of the Day: Ozge Zihnioglu
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: zeytinyagli yemekler ("olive oil food")
- Breakfast: eggs, fruit, bread, and sweet spreads called "pakmez"
- Lunch: salad, homemade whole grain bread called "kepek ekmek"
- Dinner: olive oil foods, fish, salads, dolma
- Olive count: 1770
- Word of the Day: "Arkares(h)" means "friend" in Turkish
- Tech Fact of the Day: compulsory cinema intermission
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 20
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 26
Next Stop: Bergama
Internet access while in Turkey was provided by Raksnet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.