topics: maftoul (food), Khan Younis, Intifada, HISTORY, PLO, cultural events, women in society, environment, family life; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
December 9, 1997
|Sunrise (local): 6:29 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 4:39 p.m.
|Traveled Since Yesterday|
0 m / 0 km
1476 mi / 2377 km
|Lat: 31° 31' 56" N|
Lon: 34° 27' 07" E
Elev: 0 ft / 0 m
- Where We Are: Gaza City
- Where We're Staying: DIA / Diwan el Shabab
- Places We Visited: Alhayat Aljadedah (New Life) newspaper, Palestinian Model Parliament: Women and Legislation, and the cities of Khan Younis (for simultaneous presentations at College of Education and the Khan Younis Services Center Youth Sport Club) and Rafah (for a maftoul feast)
- Featured Site: Khan Younis
- Person of the Day: our Gazan sponsors
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: maftoul
- Breakfast: tea and pastries
- Lunch: humus, herb omelettes
- Dinner: maftoul
- Olive Count: 1246
- Word of the Day: Salam means "peace" in Palestine.
- Tech Fact of the Day: As far as we have been able to understand, the Internet situation in Gaza is complicated (just like everything else). Since the telephones used in Gaza are still under Israeli control, all Palestinian Internet services in Gaza — including those made available by PalNet, our Palestinian provider through their Gazan contact MECo. — apparently run on Israeli lines and many of the Internet "routers" between the West Bank and Gaza are located in Israel. However, enterprising Palestinians are working to change this. Plans are in the making to set up a Palestinian provider with a "router" at the telephone exchange at the Erez crossing between Gaza and Israel. Thus Internet access in Gaza can be managed using tools exclusively found in Gaza.
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 4
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 19
Next Stop: We are staying in Gaza!
Internet access while in Palestine was provided by PalNet. Internet access while in Gaza was arranged by PalNet's representative in Gaza, Modern Electronic Company (MECo.).|
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.