topics: provatina (food), kayaking, hiking, Vikos-Aoös National Park, nightlife; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
March 28, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:30 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 6:56 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
6 mi / 9 km
3429 mi / 5521 km
|Lat: 40° 02' 38" N|
Lon: 20° 44' 46" E
Elev: 1903 ft / 580 m
- Where We Are: Konitsa ()
- Where We're Staying: Konstantinos (Kostas) Housos Guest House ()
- Places We Visited: Vikos-Aoös National Park, the wild nightlife of Konitsa
- Featured Site: Vikos-Aoös National Park
- Person of the Day: Nikos Kyritsis
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: provatina
- Breakfast: spanakopitta, cereal, juice and coffee (prepared by Padraic who has just learned how to make Greek coffee!)
- Lunch: cheese, bread, apples and oranges
- Dinner: Greek salad, grilled beef, lamb, pork and chicken
- Olive count: 1934
- Word of the Day: "Kalispera" () means "good evening" in Greek. As we slipped out of the local drinking establishment early (see Rider Notes for more info), we wished everyone "kalispera."
- Tech Fact of the Day: Mountain bike tires have much more traction than road bike tires. This is due largely to the fact that mountain bike tires are wider but they also usually have a much more aggressive tread pattern and are often made of softer rubber. When riding off-road it is greatly recommended that you use mountain bike tires.
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 22
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 28
Next Stop: We remain in Konitsa for the next two nights.
Internet access while in Greece has been provided by FORTHNet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.