topics: loukoumi (food), Independence Day, Ioannina, HISTORY, Ottoman Empire, transportation, bicycle race, daily life, Perama Cave; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
March 25, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:34 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 6:52 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
3423 mi / 5512 km
|Lat: 39° 39' 34" N|
Lon: 20° 51' 07" E
Elev: 1693 ft / 516 m
- Where We Are: Ioannina ()
- Where We're Staying: the municipality has kindly arranged for us to stay at the lovely Hotel Xenia
- Places We Visited: a comfy café, the start of the first race of the Patra three-day stage bicycle race, Independence Day celebration
- Featured Site: Ioannina
- Person of the Day: Gregoris and Miranda Iatrou
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: loukoumi
- Breakfast: donuts and coffee
- Lunch: none
- Dinner: lemon chicken, pork chops, Greek salads, tzatziki
- Olive count: 1902
- Word of the Day: "Eimeras somsakasias" is how you say "Independence Day" in Greek.
- Tech Fact of the Day: The nation of Greece comprises the mainland and around 1400 islands; travel between the different islands and the islands and the mainland is usually by ferries.
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 22
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 27
Next Stop: We will stay in Ioannina for another day.
Internet access while in Greece has been provided by FORTHNet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.