topics: Arabic greetings, security checkpoints, Shepherd's Field, religious sites, Israeli/Palestinian conflict; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
December 15–16, 1997
|Sunrise (local): 6:31 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 4:37 p.m.
|Traveled Since Dec. 14|
15 mi / 23 km
1549 mi / 2494 km
|Lat: 31° 42' 16" N|
Lon: 35° 12' 22" E
Elev: 2594 ft / 791 m
[Webmaster's note: This dispatch covers the days from December 15 to December 16. The almanac data refers to December 16.]
- Where We Are: Beit Sahour (near Bethlehem)
- Where We're Staying: Rishmawi family compound
- Places We Visited: Beit Sahour, Bethlehem (Church of the Nativity, Milk Grotto), and the Palestinian Centre for Rapprochement Between People
- Featured Site: Alternative Tourism Group
- Person of the Day: our hosts, the Rishmawi family
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: dried nuts, seeds, and beans
- Breakfast: potato and onion omelette
- Lunch: soup, chicken, rice, salads, and bread
- Dinner: bread with a huge variety of spreads, dips, and stuffings
- Olive Count: 1324
- Word of the Day: "Good morning" , "good afternoon" , and "good evening" — Christian Arabic style!
- Tech Fact of the Day: Greetings in Arabic can notify your neighbors of your religion!
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 4
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 22
Next Stop: Vacation!
BikeAbout–the Mediterranean will take a break for the holidays starting Wednesday, December 17th, 1997. We will reconvene in Jerusalem to continue the Mediterranean Journey starting January 10th, 1998. See you next year!
Internet access while in Palestine was provided by PalNet.|
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.