topics: Skocjan Caves, Koper, Karst region, Lipizzaner stallions, Lipic(z)a, history; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
April 27, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 5:57 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 8:03 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
108 mi / 174 km
4207 mi / 6775 km
|Lat: 46° 03' 25" N|
Lon: 14° 30' 59" E
Elev: 1385 ft / 422 m
- Where We Are: Lubljana
- Where We're Staying: the Sestava at the Metelkova Mesto (see tomorrow's dispatch for more information about this place)
- Places We Visited: S(h)koc(z)janske jame (caves), Karst Region, Sez(h)ana, Lipic(z)a, the edge of Trieste (Italy), the Slovenian coast (Koper, Piran), Slovenian trains
- Featured Site: S(h)koc(z)janske jame (caves)
- Person of the Day: Borut, our guide at the S(h)koc(z)janske caves
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: a "typical" Koper lunch = franks and beans (?)
- Breakfast: Italian juice and pastries
- Lunch: typical regional franks and beans with a typical regional Teran (red wine)
- Dinner: late-night McDonalds...
- Olive count: 2063
- Word of the Day: "Hvala lepa" means "many thanks" in Slovenian, although "lep poz(h)drav" means "nice greetings." When we arrived in Ljubljana, we were told "lep poz(h)drav, to which we responded "hvala lepa."
- Tech Fact of the Day: the Karst region
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 23
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 29
Next Stop: we will stay in Ljubljana for a few days
Internet access and Web hosting while in Slovenia has been provided by K2 Net.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.