topics: biking, headwind, rain, wildlife and endangered species, lodging, tourist towns, Dalmatian islands; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
April 19, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:09 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 7:39 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
119 mi / 191 km
3838 mi / 6180 km
|Lat: 43° 30' 28" N|
Lon: 16° 26' 19" E
Elev: 0 ft / 0 m
- Where We Are: Split
- Where We're Staying: a sobe in the old part of the city
- Places We Visited: Dalmatian coast
- Featured Site: Dalmatian coast of Croatia and its 1185 islands
- Person of the Day: Kat Tokic
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: "manistra od bobic(z)a" - bean and fresh maize soup
- Breakfast: cereal, milk, bananas, juice
- Lunch: sandwiches, cookies
- Dinner: pizza (...again)
- Olive count: 2040
- Word of the Day: "Slobodne Sobe" is seen (not heard) on signs posted outside of larger buildings along the coast. It means "Zimmer Frei" or "Rooms Available" - the Croatian word for "room" being sobe and the word for "freedom" being "sloboda." While the signs abound, finding an open sobe in the off season is a little trickier.
- Tech Fact of the Day: wildlife and endangered species of Croatia
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 23
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 29 - one more for Padraic!
Next Stop: We are in Split for another day!
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.