topics: fatta (food), Seven Wonders of the World, building Pyramids, history, Pharaohs, ancient religion, antiquities, daily life; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
November 21, 1997
|Sunrise (local): 6:25 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 4:58 p.m.
|Traveled Since Yesterday|
500 meters by camel!
1163 mi / 1873 km
|Lat: 29° 58' 31" N|
Lon: 31° 07' 53" E
Elev: 476 ft / 145 m
- Where We Are: Giza
- Where We're Staying: Bodmin Guest House back in Cairo
- Places We Visited: Great Pyramids of Giza
- Featured Site: Khufu's (Cheops') Pyramid
- Person of the Day: The Sphinx (We know, it's really a monster!)
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: fatta with rice
- Breakfast: rolls, butter, jam and tea
- Lunch: picnic lunch of bread, cheese, and vegetables, all next to the Sphinx
- Dinner: moza, vegetables, fatta, and rice
- Olive Count: 1126
- Words of the Day: Haram (singular) and ahram (plural) mean "pyramid(s)" in Egyptian Arabic.
- Tech Fact of the Day: The ancient Egyptians were excellent mathematicians. Among their other achievements, they figured out how to construct right angles by using triangles whose sides measured 3, 4, and 5, or 5, 12, and 13 units. Without right angles they would have found it very hard to build the pyramids!
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 3
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 17
Next Stop: Islamic Cairo!
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.