topics: spaghetti matriciana (food), Saint Peter's Square and Basilica, the Spanish Steps of Roma, HISTORY, Christianity, the papacy; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
May 21, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 5:48 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 8:26 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
0 mi / 0 km
5000 mi / 8052 km
|Lat: 41° 54' 09" N|
Lon: 12° 27' 26" E
Elev: 322 ft / 98 m
- Where We Are: Roma (Rome)
- Where We're Staying: the apartment of our host in Roma, Gianni and Paola
- Places We Visited: St. Peter's Square and Basilica and the Spanish Steps
- Featured Site: St. Peter's Basilica
- Person of the Day: "the bishop of Roma, successor to the prince of the apostles, servant of the servants of God, supreme pontiff of the universal church, patriarch of the West, vicar of Christ, primate of Italy, archbishop and metropolitan of the Roman province, sovereign of the state of Vatican City," or, as Padraic likes to call him, "The Man"
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: spaghetti matriciana
- Breakfast: cornflakes, fried eggs, bread and juice
- Lunch: sandwiches
- Dinner: hot and sour soup, fried rice and various chicken and beef dishes
- Olive count: 2144
- Word of the Day: "Grazie" is how you say "thank you" in Italian. If you are VERY thankful you could say something like "mille gratzie" - a thousand thanks.
- Tech Fact of the Day: Bernini's disappearing columns in St. Peter's Square
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 31
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 32
Next Stop: somewhere on the road to Pisa
||Internet access in Italy was provided by ITNet. Internet access in the Trieste region of Italy and hosting have been provided by Spin.
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.